Friday 22 November 2013

Assignment 4 - Project 9 - Woven Structures - Stage 4 - Part Two - Developing Design Ideas into Weaving

(DISPLAY BOARD PIECE - BOARD 7 OF 10)

For this sample, inspired by the pleasing rustic appeal of the Mexican god's eyes, I chose natural materials for the frame, a piece of dried twig and a small dowel. I wanted to explore the relationship between the warp and the weft, playing with the interaction between the two. In my mind was the idea that in some weave structures the warp is the dominant force (warp-faced weaves such as ikat) whereas others have a dominant weft structure (weft-faced weaves). I was curious to explore not only the warp and weft-faced weave structure but also what happens if the warp is entirely exposed.

I realised that this would create a potential weakness in the weave but as it was for a decorative sample I did some research and discovered that it is possible to paint the exposed warp with dilute pva or starch to stiffen and strengthen it.

As I wanted some exposed warp sections, I chose an interesting-textured boucle yarn which was fine but strong.

I also wanted to experiment with different materials in the weft. I wanted to see how far I could push the open weave structure before it failed to work. I drew inspiration from the earlier braids exercise and selected a range of hand-dyed and commercial, textured threads - wool, raw silk, cotton and viscose. I included some hand-dyed, handspun wool yarn but also bulkier materials - hand-dyed fleece, roving and even as thick as braids. For the dyeing I used natural dyes - I used goldenrod overdyed with woad for the greens, coreopsis, goldenrod for oranges and yellows and iron-modified cutch for the lighter browns. The darker browns were naturally-coloured fleece/wool. I also incorporated a small amount of commercially-dyed yarn in the braids.

Design inspiration
The inspiration for the piece itself was piles of richly-coloured autumn leaves, laying on the ground in a dense forest, with moss and lichen visible through the piles of leaves as they crumble and decay. In the open areas the leaves have disappeared, returning to the soil to nourish the forest. Rich grey and brown handspun yarn represents the deep, rich humus and gnarly roots poking through the leaves. The lichen and moss are growing around the base, thriving in the cool dampness beneath the forest canopy.

Design process
I used starch paste to stiffen the boucle thread to make a very simple warp.

Onto this I wove a range of materials, fibre, fleece, yarn, string. I left parts of the warp completely unworked, some lightly packed to allow the warp to remain partially visible whilst other areas were densely filled and woven over. With the fleece, I left tufts at the front, anchoring them into some strong rug yarn.


I drew on the earlier exercise (3) to make a number of twisted and braided cords which I attached to the bottom of the piece.


I completed the piece by applying additional dilute pva to prevent movement in the open warp sections.

Thoughts
I like the textural qualities of this piece and the natural forms. The warp is somewhat light for the weight of some of the weft materials but I like the concept of exposed areas - as well as reflecting the original design, it gives an impression of an old piece that has seen many years of wear and is itself in the process of slow decline. The use of natural dyes for the hand-dyeing added to the natural qualities. When I was working the piece it also had an earthy smell which added to the making experience. It would be interesting if this smell remains - it would add an extra dimension to experiencing the piece. (note to self: wonder if this could be used more widely - fragrance-infused pieces to evoke emotions/images?)

If I were to repeat this piece I might use a thicker warp, but  still with texture. I would also lose some of the braiding - it proved a little excessive!