Sunday 12 May 2013

Assignment 3 - Project 6 - Manipulating Fabric - Developing Ideas - Stages One and Two - Part Two

This part of the project was proving to be a long post so I split it into two. For part two I selected some images and used these as inspiration for collage themes. Some of the images I've used before and I chose these because I had earmarked them as having further potential for development. The manipulated green watercolour, for example, had lots of scope for developing a design that began as a very structured, woven shape, into something more organic and fluid.




The seaweed had such intensely rich colour and shape it was a clear choice for development. I think there is also lots that could be done to develop this image further by exploiting the fabulous texture. It is bookmarked in my sketchbook!



 I chose this computer-collaged series of images to develop the shapes and the bright colours on the black background, exploring postive and negative shapes.




This was an interpretation of part of a piece of knitting from the Kaffe Fassett exhibition, photographed during our OCA study visit. I wanted to create a loose interpretation of the wave forms using simple shapes, allowing the range of colours and textures to be more prominent. 



 This sample was my challenge piece, to see how difficult it would be to develop what is prima facie a very neutral image. On close evaluation, there is much more colour in the image and lots of exciting texture to explore and exploit. Again, I can see potential for this as a textural development piece.


 This image of rice paddies at sunset produced an interesting range of colours but isn't as inspiring as I anticipated. Perhaps I used too many colours and the collage is too busy? The yellow in particular, jars somewhat. Finer swatches and a more delicate approach would have improved this example.


Although I like this collage and the colour and textural combinations, I'm not sure how well the colours reflect the original! I should have suspected as much given my lack of success with extracting the colours into watercolour in an earlier project! On the plus side, I think there is good texture and the shape isn't too disappointing. If I intended to capture the image I needed greater contrast and shadow and perhaps a wider range of deeper-coloured fabrics. A coloured background might also have improved this interpretation.