Friday 24 February 2012

Assignment 1: Project One Stage 4 - Working from your Sketchbooks - Exercise 1

For this exercise I chose four images, two from sketches, two from earlier projects. I decided to have another try at the bogwood, this time using a wax resist technique and trying an intentionally unrealistic colour scheme (using a rainbow of colours).

I selected the shape of the galaxy from earlier in the project, this time working with printed "teabag" papers, cut into small triangles, to interpret the spiralling shape.

Image three was an interpretation of body art from my sketchbooks. It is based on henna tattoos, interpreted using paint and glitter.

The final piece was also from my sketchbooks, a simple shell. The shell had a lovely ridged texture and I chose to capture this in paint.


I don't particularly like any of these interpretations. It was useful to try the wax resist using different colours as I'd considered earlier, but the medium didn't really allow for sufficient detail to capture the woody texture.

The spiral is ok but not particularly inspiring. Likewise the tattoo intepretation is ok but not really texturally expressive.

Of the four, the shell is the best option as the paint allows the light and shade to bring out the textural qualities of the shell.

I may repeat this exercise at some point using different subjects to see how this affects the results.