Thursday 23 February 2012

Assignment 1: Project One Making Marks Stage One/Two - Exercise 3

Extending exercise 1 by working with different media and techniques...

Coloured pencils, felt pens, watercolour wash, lustre paints applied with a cork, watercolour pencils.


Bubble wrap, tissue paper, gold paint, inks and paints. I used the inner part of the template to create the outline on the red tissue paper with gold paint. I cut the bubble wrap with a craft knife and coloured over it with pens. The pen sank deeper into the paper backing in the cut areas creating the darker orange lines. It seemed a shame to waste the outer part of the template so I coloured it with more pen.


Here I chose a different background but used the same template shape. I experimented with chalk, oil pastel and gold paint, working both using the inner and outer part of the template. I like the interaction of the dark background with the metallic paint and the bright white of the pastels. The use of sharp lines of pastel and chalk give strong, lively shapes.


More bubble wrap! This time painting onto the bubble wrap and using it to print with onto tissue paper. Also sponging inside and over the template shape with acrylics. Bottom left is a watercolour sample, with the colour dropped inside the template shape.


I dug deep into my stationery stash for these and found lots of interesting colours, shapes and media to play with. The first and third pages work best for me, although the red/orange combinations are interesting. The colours in the final page don't work for me at all!