Wednesday 27 May 2015

Mixed Media for Textiles - Module Two Begins!

After much deliberation I've signed up for the new OCA course Mixed Media for Textiles. I can't lie, the last part of the first module was not easy! The mounting, labelling, documenting and journalling, not to mention the nail-biting wait to see if I'd passed!

When the boxes of my work came back I wasn't even sure I wanted to open them but when I did it was quite a surprise. There was more work than I remembered for one thing and some of it looked better than I remembered it - I certainly won't be setting the art world on fire any time soon but for a first module it was okay and definitely some things to build on.

Anyway, it was rather a now or never thing as the maximum time for the degree is 12 years (yes, I know that seems like a long time but it's taken me over 2 years to finish one module and there are at least 8 to do!).

So, onto Mixed Media it is, with a firm promise to myself to get stuck in early, study regularly and sketch instead of playing Candy Crush (you can stop laughing now, I am determined).

As my first assignment is about folding, manipulating and distorting materials, I thought I'd get started with this amazing exhibition by the International Arts and Artists - Folding Paper: The Infinite Possibilities of Origami.....scroll through the images and prepare to be amazed....

And the documentary on the artists in the exhibition is fascinating....